Ariel Banga and Michelle Delgado

Michelle: The Introspective Rebel

Interview was done by Ariel/Jojo Banga

Ariel: [00:00:00] Would you recommend Texas State as like a good, as like a good like art school for other artists? 

Michelle: Hmm. That’s a good question. I, I actually would recommend Texas State mostly because of go of, go here and I’ve learned a lot. Mm-hmm. However, I would say that I think I did get really used to the San Antonio College way of teaching and it was really free and really loose.

There was a lot of. Of more abstract kind of art, where here I do feel like it’s a little bit more like figurative. There are like, there’s all kinds of art out here, but I feel like it’s really stressed on us to be a hundred percent accurate with shadows and lights and things like that, where I’m just like, like I said earlier, I like to just play and have fun, and I do take all the fundamentals into consideration when I create, but I don’t like to be as bound.

But I would recommend it to anybody who’s thinking about coming here. 

Honestly, like when I first started coming to Texas State, it was a real huge shocker to me. Mm-hmm. I guess mostly because it was like more on the real academic side and real kind of serious and everybody just kind of, you know, was trying to be the best in trying to like, I don’t know, walking around.

I don’t know, like maybe this is just my outside perspective. But like, I just feel like it’s a little bit more, like you said earlier, like structured where community college was real, like friendly and you had friends and they would give you honest feedback about your work. Yes. And it was real communal.

Where here I feel like it’s very competitive, which could be good too. Mm-hmm. You know, you just gotta roll with the punches. 

Ariel: That’s true. That’s true. Like no matter, no matter like what made you’re in. There’s always people who are super competitive. Right. And it’s 

Michelle: like, get off of your 

Ariel: high horse. Cause we’re all here for the same reason.

Exactly. To graduate. Exactly. So yeah.

Okay. When you, when it comes to your identity, do you see yourself as an  artist first or as someone else? When it comes to 

Michelle: my identity, I see myself as myself, like who I am, but art has a lot to do with my identity, so I think I definitely like label myself as an artist. Mm-hmm. But that’s not all of who I am.

But I do agree that art has a lot to do with my life. So even just like my everyday routine, I’m always thinking about art and reminded of art and I get inspired artistically. So I would say

I do see myself as an artist first, but it’s not all of who I am. And I try to remind myself too. That I am, that that’s being labeled an artist isn’t all who I am and it shouldn’t, I  shouldn’t be consumed by being an artist in a way. Like I still have to think about my family and my friends and just balancing everything out.

Mm-hmm. So it’s a balance, but being an artist is a huge part of who I am.

Ariel: Why do you use certain art mediums and styles? 

Michelle: Well, I definitely, so the mediums that I do use are acrylic paint is a huge one. So my major is painting, so fine arts with a concentration with painting. And I really like acrylic paint because it dries fast. And I feel like I’m a very fast, intuitive artist, and so I need my mediums to reflect that.

So I do use oil paint and I like to use materials or mediums such as like glass and found objects, textures, like anything with texture in it is something that I like as well.  And, I use those because I like the real additive process and I like to see like a history of the artwork. I like it to have some kind of like story to where it’s like there was like an origin or a starting point and then now it is what it is now or what it looks like now.

And yeah. So I think that’s why I use those art mediums as far as like style I guess I’ve always kind of had like a more edgier, kind of like rough around the edges. Rebellious. I’ve heard that a lot too. Like the artwork is rebellious and real, like playful and loose. But I do take into account like composition color something that’s like visually pleasing.

But it makes you look at it a little bit longer because of all of the textures and mediums that stop a part of it.

Ariel: Do you see your art, your art style as rebellious too? Or is this like more of like an outside point of view thing? 

Michelle: I would say that I, I, in a way, I do see my art as rebellious, like to whatever that like people 

Ariel: That makes sense. Sense. Yeah.

Michelle: Heard all kinds of things. I’d definitely say it’s more of an outside opinion because I never really thought about it until that label was put on my art.

Mm-hmm. Rebellious or. Punk. Like I’ve heard that too. And it’s like I guess I just try not to confine myself to, to boundaries or rules or, you know, I take what I learn, especially like being in the academic side. Like, cause I, I’ve used to be a little bit more like DIY artists. I still consider myself like more of a DIY artist where you kind of like build your own opportunities and things like that.

Mm-hmm. But, Coming into the academic side, there’s a lot of rules, regulations, like like structure. Structure, yes. Structure. Mm-hmm. And structure is really good. Yeah. And I have learned a lot from structure. But I do like to question and I like to, I like to ask questions and I  like to test my limits and my boundaries.

So I would say that’s why I’m okay with it being called rebellious. Mm-hmm. But it’s definitely an outside opinion, you know, cuz art is just art. 

Ariel: Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. Okay. That was, that was a really good response. How does art fit into your everyday life? 

Michelle: Art plays into my everyday life, literally from, like, it doesn’t, it doesn’t ever stop. Like I’m constantly thinking about color, shape, I’m constantly questioning things, which I think like is a creative thing to do. Like in our minds, like to ask questions and to wonder and then kind of take that and apply it to your own life.

But it definitely. Definitely like if I’m driving and I see like a signs on the road, like just like on the way over here, I’ve been like staring at the like, it’s like slow down, like sign on the side. Like just things like that where it’s like communication. Cuz art is communication too. Mm-hmm. It’s visual communication.

So yeah, just like things like that, like the driving, like when I’m sleeping I pull from my dreams. Mm-hmm. I pull from my friends a lot. Like a lot of the people that I surround myself with are also artists or creatives or music makers photographers. So I feel like I’m also inspired by the people around me.

Yeah.

Ariel: Do you tend to remember your dreams a lot? Like do you have like lucid dreams? 

Michelle: I have very vivid dreams. Vivid dreams, yes. I, I do tend to pull from my dreams. I, if anything, it’s just more like a study within myself. Mm-hmm. I’m really, I try to be really intuitive and really grounded with myself and my dreams and my intentions and everything that I do.

Michelle: But yeah, I do tend to have pretty vivid dreams and I pull from them here and there, or I just remember them or document them, even if it’s just a sketch. And it’s always good to just keep practicing art.

Even like I carry my sketchbook everywhere, so. I’ll just jot it down. Mm-hmm. After I wake up if I have the time or remember, so. Okay.

Ariel: Music and art are closely intertwined. Is there any music or a playlist that you listen to as you work on your art? 

Michelle: Yes, I do have a studio playlist. Music is definitely intertwined with art. I agree. I have a studio playlist that plays like house music, dance music, also just like chill music, just like various artists.

Mm-hmm. But I like to listen to something that’s a little bit more upbeat and catchy so that my mind can kind of have something to focus on.  But yes, I do have my own playlist and I love listening to, I feel really into house music, like when I create music or when I create art rather. So, yeah.

Ariel: What would you like to say to your past self when you first started doing art?  Hmm. 

Michelle: I think what I would like to say to my past self when I first started doing art is to not compare myself to others who seem to be really thriving and question my own way of thriving. Because I think it’s real easy to, especially like on the internet, when people are just celebrating everything and you’re trying to get your foot through the door and I’m, and you’re just like yeah.

Just to like not compare yourself and just to keep going because your time will come and things. Good things will come to you as long as you’re putting in the work, which is what I feel like I did or I’ve been doing, so. Yeah, just keep going. Don’t compare yourself. 

Ariel: That’s good.

What is your background and why did you make Texas State your college as a student artist? 

Michelle: So I’ve always been a creative person. Mm-hmm. But I’ve never really took it seriously until I got to college. And the reason for that is because I grew up in like a very working class. Mm-hmm. Community or a household where everybody, you know, if you weren’t working, you weren’t, you know, Everybody.

Everybody had to have a job. You had to work to put food on the table and art was just not really an option or it wasn’t really spoken about, especially in that sense. It was more of like a hobby or something that you did on the side. But when I got to community college, cuz I went to San Antonio College first.

Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. And I changed my major like eight times. So my first one was like psychology, then kinesiology. I wanted to be a personal trainer. And then I wanted to, I went into journalism and writing. Mm-hmm. And then that went really well. But it’s really stressful. Shout out to the journalists and the reporters and both, and the people supporting the First Amendment 

Ariel: For freedom of speech.

Michelle: Freedom of speech.

Mm-hmm. But it was really stressful. So I took a painting class over there and I fell in love and I was like, this is what I’m supposed to be doing. It feels right. And those were just like in my early days and I really liked it. I really like went full. Force into art and wanting to be an artist and considering art as an actual career and not just something that you do on the side.

And then I went to Texas State because I had other friends going to Texas State too at the time, and I’ve always been one to kind of travel outside of my boundaries and kind of again, like test the limits and like take risks. So being in San Antonio, there are universities there, but I was like, you know what, I’m gonna Venture out and see how it goes.

Ariel: What do you see yourself doing in the future? Do you see yourself creating more exhibitions? 

Michelle: That’s a good question. I, in the future, I do see myself curating exhibitions. I would like to figure out away to do it a little bit more to where, like, maybe there’s grants or funding, because all of the curation that I do is all volunteer volunteering.

It’s, it’s real time consuming. But in the best way possible. I’ve learned so much by hosting and curating these events. But yeah, just I would say for my future, I definitely see myself just continuing to be in like the art scene and trying to make money basically either get funded or make money off of your, I mean, that, that’s the best thing you could do at the end of the day when you could feed yourself.

And. And keep going.

Ariel: Yeah. Like do you still, do you see yourself working in like a museum or something like that? Mm-hmm. I 

Michelle: Definitely see myself working at a museum or maybe even teaching. I’ve considered that I’m not really too set on what exactly I want to do, just because I feel like I might go to grad school.

Mm-hmm. I’m very, I’m really considering it. It’s kind of up in the air. I still have to do a lot of research. Yeah. And See exactly. If I want to move outta state, like I said earlier, I like to venture out. So this little bug in me is telling me to go and move somewhere and experience something new. But I’m also really close to my family and my friends here, so we’ll see.

We shall see. Mm-hmm. It’s up in the air. I try not to like stress too much about it. I feel like everything kind of figures itself out. Yeah. But for now, we’re good.

Ariel: Mm-hmm. You mentioned that your, you directed one of like the classes. How did that go?

Michelle: It went really well. It overall, it was a really great experience. It literally, the assignment was from the whole semester. We had this assignment at the end of the semester, which was a couple weeks ago. We had our exhibition called Going Static, but the assignment was basically to.

Host a DIY exhibition at a non-traditional space. So we did it in an arcade. Thankfully I had connections to that arcade because of my partner. So they let us go in there and hang art up and then invited everybody. It was free play for the arcade. So a lot of people had fun, but it was definitely a lot of work.

We had to do. We had to do a catalog, we had to submit things. We had to all meet like every, like once a week just so that everybody can know what’s going on. Updated. You know, once you have 12 people, there’s always somebody who can’t make it. Yeah, sure, sure. Or whatever. So it’s, it was a lot, especially like having five classes, plus being the director.

Yeah. Plus all of the other projects that I have going on with school. That would be another challenge I think like, as an artist, especially a, a student artist, cuz in a way I feel like I’ve, I kind of have my own like career path and my own mind and then I have my art side. So to  kind of marry and merge everything together is always fun.

But going back to the show, it was really good and I love all the artists that I was able to work with. I think I’ve built like lifelong connection with these artists too. And it’s just nice to, again, have that community and those people that you’re able to work with. Yeah. Mm-hmm. Okay.

Ariel: What are some limitations that you encountered as an artist? And since positivity is always good, how have you overcome these limitations? 

Michelle: Yeah. I feel like. I feel like as an artist, there really are no limitations.

Ariel: That can be a, a response too. Maybe you don’t have limitations, just feel like your mindset and stuff like that..

Michelle: I think that’s what’s great about being an artist and being creative. And if anything, I would say like the first thing that came to my mind was like the academia thing, like being real confined and like trying to work my way around that and still be respectful and I don’t know. And that’s funny because like art is so like ambiguous.

Mm-hmm. Like it can be anything like you, you can write you on the wall and in a gallery and it’ll be art. Like you can attach the banana to the wall and it’ll be art like so, which I don’t know which artist that was. I wish I knew some limitations. I feel like everything just kind of works itself out. I feel like when you approach things as like, nothing’s gonna limit me, I’m gonna figure it out, it just kind of works out for you.

Mm-hmm. And if it doesn’t, then that’s fine. Mm-hmm. Like, you know, because you can’t, again, you can’t stress about things for too long cuz it’ll drive you crazy and there’s just no point. Mm. 

Ariel: 

I’ve noticed that. I’ve noticed that you’re a MUA. It’s a makeup artist. Makeup artist. How did you get started doing makeup for other people? Can you talk about your journey? 

Michelle: Yes. So I am a makeup artist. Which is super fun to me. It’s another creative outlet. Mm-hmm. Which is why I love it.

But yeah, I actually got started at the JCPenney Sephora back in 2017. That was my first job actually. I’ve only ever worked for Sephora. Mm-hmm. But I got started in 2017 at JCPenney and it was like in the small one, they don’t even have ’em anymore. JCPenney doesn’t even have a, they’re, they’re at Kohl’s now or whatever.

But Yeah, I got started there and I was a beauty advisor, so just like helping people out to find their shade, giving them advice on how to use different makeup products. And it’s really cool because makeup is definitely an art. Yeah. It’s putting color on your face, it’s drawing on yourself. It’s very ancestral, very like down to earth cuz people have been drawing on their skin forever.

For years. Yeah. So. Yeah, I got started and then again, at the time I, I didn’t really know how good it was for me and like how much I was learning and how, how art had a big, like, role to play in my, in makeup. Mm-hmm. So I started doing makeup on people there just like 15 minute services, 15 minute makeup applications.

And then in 2020 I took a break when the pandemic fell. Yeah. I took a break from everything and I focused solely on being a full-time artist. Mm-hmm. During that year, which is very rewarding as well. And then in 2021 I got hired at freestanding Sephora. And that’s been really great as well. Very great company to work with.

They’re like the Fortune 500, like for diversity and inclusion. Mm-hmm. So we’re really like open to. Everybody, LGBTQ, BiPOC people. It’s just like a very rewarding place to work at and very comfortable in like a safe space that we try to create. But yeah, I, I started working there in 2021. I’ve loved it.

I got hired on like, as a full, as a makeup artist last year, so I’ve only been doing makeup for about a year. Full on like all over the face. But I love it and I, I fall in love with it adding color. To the face. Like I always like to add a pop of color and like kind of get people comfortable with themselves.

And I heard recently too, somebody told me that like, makeup artists are healers. Mm-hmm. And I hadn’t really ever] thought about that. And I was like, I’m, that’s so true. Like, I’m sitting with somebody, we’re real intimate. I’m, you know, shaping their face to be something that’s beautiful, you know, and it’s.

It’s nice. Which is funny because I talked earlier about how in my artwork I really like to be rough around the edges and I don’t like it to be perfect and to a certain, to a certain extent. I do that to my makeup artistry as well. But obviously people wanna look very beautiful. They want it to be very clean.

Mm-hmm. So that’s like a juxtaposition, I think. Mm-hmm. That kind of balances everything out. And my fine art and my makeup artistry kind of talk to each other in those ways as well. 

Ariel: That’s good. Can you talk about your beginnings as a performer and how did you get started? 

Michelle: Yes. So like I said, I got started with performing in high school with color guard. We did dance, and I hadn’t really taken it seriously at the time. I was just more like, oh, like I’m just trying to get moves down. But now when I look back at it, it’s, it was really rewarding as like a visual performing artist using your body as a medium and a storyteller. Mm-hmm. So, yeah, that’s where I got started. 

Ariel: Did you, where did you discover Cornyation and stuff like that? 

Michelle: Yeah, so I actually got invited to do Cornyation from ‘Powdered Wig Machines’. So they’re an art collective slash video series in San Antonio, Texas. It’s run by Brandon Pittman. He’s really like the head of, like the heart of the collective.

He runs everything. Really great individual to work with and really great creative. But we’ve been in the same scene for about. I’d say like five years I’ve known him. So yeah, he reached out to me, said if I asked me if I wanted to participate, cuz I also did it last year. Mm-hmm. So he asked me this year again and I said, yeah, and it’s been fun.

It’s hard work, but it’s, it’s fun to do. And I love being surrounded by all these creatives and. We’re all just supporting each other really. 

Ariel: So it’s like rewarding in a way at like the aftermath of it and stuff like that? 

Michelle: Definitely rewarding. Mm-hmm. For sure. Mm-hmm. To be able to like share a space with like other creatives and put on a show or be creative together, it just like forms that much more of a bond.

And that’s where community and art, I think that’s the best thing that you can do as an artist, is have a group of people that can support you, I mean, with anything really. Right? Mm-hmm. When you’re Really passionate about something and other people can share that passion with you and mm-hmm. Just have a good time.

That’s what we’re here for. Mm-hmm. 

Ariel: I like that.

You mentioned that you’re a performer at San Antonio. What do you do as a performer? 

Michelle: Yeah, so I, I got into performance art maybe about a few years ago. Mm-hmm. Just kind of like putting myself in front of a camera and performing that way. Mm-hmm. So I do consider myself a performance artist or a performer.

I make like videos, video, art of me in front of it dancing. Back in the day in high school, I used to be a dancer or a, yeah, I studied dance and color guard with my high school. We went to state champions. It was really fun and it, that taught me a lot of like, just like core values of like discipline, working hard, things like that.

So that’s when I started performing and I didn’t really take it again, like as seriously as an artist. Cause performing is an art when you can like fully embody yourself and like, You know, kind of transform your body of, use it as a medium. Mm-hmm. But in San Antonio, recently I did perform at Ation, which is a fiesta event, an annual fiesta event, and it’s put on by various col collectives, basically like in San Antonio.

And you perform a skit, three minute skit. Mm-hmm. For, and it’s basically making fun of like things going on in the world, like parody, like we talked about, defunding the police and I was a pig cop and then I died and there was also Greg Abbott who rolled out and we crushed him with a tree cuz that’s actually how he broke his leg. And that’s why he’s in the-

Ariel: that’s why he’s in, that’s in the wheelchair. 

Michelle: Yeah. So it’s just like poking fun, at least like serious topics while also having fun and making it an enjoyable experience for everybody. And that event is actually for charity. It’s for like the San Antonio AIDS Foundation. So it’s all volunteer.

It’s just for Fiesta to have a good time. So I love performing. And it’s been hard work, but it’s been so fun. So yeah, that’s why, just wanted to venture out. Mm-hmm.

Ariel: What are some words you would like to share to end this interview, anything you would like to promote? 

Michelle: Ooh, yes. So I actually have gotten accepted, well one of my video pieces got selected for a screening at a film festival in Florida. Mm-hmm. In St. Augustine, Florida, which is super huge to me. I’ve never had like national kind of recognition or national exhibitions.

So this is kind of a big thing and I’m. Very excited on the inside. Thankfully, my professor, Liz Rata, she’s the expanded media professor, she told me about the opportunity. But yeah, I’m real grateful to be a part of that. And that’s gonna be on May 18th. May 19th in St. Augustine, Florida at Flagler College.

But that’s gonna be cool. I’m trying to make it, because the next day I have to go on a vacation. Oh. It’s just like a super, like packed schedule. Always, always a packed schedule. So I’ve got that. What else do I have? Oh, and then coming up in June, I believe it’s June 3rd, let me just double check. I want to give all the information, correct.

Mm-hmm. You know how it goes. Yes. So on June 3rd in San Antonio, I’ll be at Peacock Alley.. With my vending table. So I have like my fine art stuff, but I also have like a vending table with like smaller stuff. I make jewelry. Mm-hmm. And smaller art little paintings. Prints, things like that. Just to kind of make some fast money and, you know, get my word out there.

But I’ll be at Peacock Alley and that one’s actually going to be with Night Shift Crew. They’re having a event out there. They had one last year, so this is the second year they’re doing it. Yeah, it’s gonna be fun. There’s gonna be music, food vendors, and it’s all free and open to the public. Mm-hmm. So y’all should come check that out.